What is The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux?
It is The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PC remake from boodle in Unreal Engine 4. The original was made in Unreal Engine 3 .
You buy fair one game, called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and you get two. The original, and this modern remaster, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux ( UE4 ) .
If you already own the original, the Redux version is a free update and will appear in your Library as The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux next to the original The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
Story-wise both games are identical. There are no extra quests or secrets in the Redux version. note that “ Redux ” is sort of an unofficial tag, we do not evening feature the son on the game ’ s art .
You can buy the crippled ( and, as mentioned, get both the original UE3 interpretation and the UE4 Redux remaster ) on steam or GOG .
Why didn’t you make the game in UE4 from the start?
When we started developing the game in 2012, UE4 was not product fix however .
Why did you remake the game in UE4?
1. UE4 supports the current generation of consoles out of the box, and UE3 does not ( big studios can rewrite parts of it to achieve this feature of speech, but for us it made more sense merely to redo the game ). That allowed us to make the PS4 version, already out .
2. UE4 is future proof, and now therefore is Ethan. It should be easier for us to support new platforms as they emerge, or to attempt supporting already existing platforms like Mac or Linux ( we will look into those right after the secrete ) .
3. UE4 made it easier for us to add some newfangled features to the game .
What new features does the Redux offer?
1. A new save system. The UE3 version saved only integral solved areas. This was not the worst solution conceivable for this particular plot but it was confusing. now the game plainly saves the express of the whole populace right after most player actions, so you can exit the game at any clock and when you come binding the world will be restored as expected .
2. Invisible or barely visible streaming of new areas. You can run from one corner of Red Creek Valley to another closely without a hitch. In the UE3 version, the stream could freeze the game for a second or indeed, depending on the personal computer .
however, this comes at a cost. UE3 adaptation is quite low-end personal computer friendly, and does not have demanding hardware requirements. UE4 version requires a 64-bit Windows and minimum 6 GB of RAM. If that ’ s not what your system has, we recommend playing the UE3 interpretation. Again, floor is precisely the same in both versions .
3. No more backtracking. Some personal computer players complained about the indigence for backtracking at the end of the game. It ’ s not always the case, but it ’ randomness hard to explain why without spoiling the game. Let ’ s just say that we believe the trouble was amply eliminated in the Redux adaptation .
4. Some personal computer players found a part of the game besides chilling and/or besides exhausting. We have tweaked a few things to make surely that it flows better – without compromising the original sight .
Any graphical enhancements in the Redux version?
There were literally hundreds of smaller tweak and updates to the visuals. It ’ s credibly not something a batch of people will notice, but we could not help ourselves and made sure that the new version is adenine flawless as possible .
besides, we have extended the pallette of options for the gain personal computer players. Multi-monitor set ups or non-standard filmdom ratios should work nicely now. Internally we call Redux as “ The Vanishing of Ethan Carter PCMR Edition ” .
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux features something called Resolution Scale. Most people will want to leave it at 100 %. Those with minimum spectacles might want to lower it to e.g. 70 %. Those with knock-down hardware can go e.g. 200 % : the game will render internally at doubly the current resolving power and nicely scale down the image to display it at the current solution. such proficiency produces an image of higher quality than most anti-aliasing solutions. Or, as our graphics programmer insists, “ as an alternative to anti-aliasing, such proficiency produces the excess pixels to help reduce erose edges. ”
The effect is best visible in motion but even this static screen can show the quality of the produce image :
What are the anti-aliasing options in the Redux version?
FXAA : fast, “ beneficial enough ” quality
T+FXAA : simpleton temporal AA + FXAA, well compromise between quality and accelerate
SMAA 1x : better quality than FXAA, but slower
SMAA T2x : SMAA with quality rise from temporal role sampling
TAA : UE4 ’ randomness temporal AA, least aliasing, but flimsy loss of detail unless Resolution Scale set to 200 %
Does the game support DirectX 12?
No, not however. The current version of UE4 has an experimental back for DX12, and it truly is experimental and therefore excessively hazardous for a public acquittance for us. american samoa soon as there ’ s the final secrete, we will add this have to the game .
I have issues with the Redux version…
Please try the UE3 version. Again, story-wise both versions are identical .
We are publishing this post at the time of release, so we do not know yet what potential problems are there with the Redux translation. We have tested the game extensively, including the services of a master QA caller, but nothing compares to the public free. Of path, we will try to fix any issues that the players might experience.
What about VR, Xbox One, Mac, Linux, etc.?
Please see the second part of this post we published when the PS4 version was released .
Tell me about the secret exe.
Inside …\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux\EthanCarter\Binaries\Win64 ( or …\The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux\EthanCarter\Binaries\Win64 in GOG version ) you can find EthanCarter-Win64-Console.exe .
launch it and the UE4 cabinet is now available to you during the game. Feel exempt to mess around with its commands, assuming you know what you ’ rhenium doing .
REDUX PATCH 1.01 NOTES
Let ’ s beginning with a few smaller things then talk about a big matchless : disable VR .
– Scale resolution 150 % add, great cost/effect ratio
– Proper shiner behavior in menu ( no excess suction stop needed )
– Fixed re-assigning keys to arrow keys
– Perma-config, no longer requires the cargo of a savegame
– Water Reflections can now be turned off
– Smart Crosshair turns off in the outro
– Fixed the fog flash after Start New Game
– Proper expose of graphics options on a fresh install
– Language now remembered 100 % of the time
– Smaller ocular and code/script fixes
– Disabled the VR digest
Wait, what? You disabled the VR support?
We know identical well this decision will anger a few people. We have hired security experts and barricaded ourselves at an undisclosed location .
But look, we are not harebrained. There are good honest reasons behind this motion .
We are glad people like the means Ethan looks in VR…
If you have a DK2 and a high powered rig, stop what you are doing & play The Vanishing of Ethen Carter Redux in # VR NOW ! thx @ TheAstroCrew
— tipatat ( @ tipatat ) September 11, 2015
…but this support was added by accident ( equitable compiled the game with VR modules on ). We are indeed working on a proper VR version of the game, but whatever you have seen was not it .
first, there are technical issues with the current execution. They exist because we have no distribute with them yet .
second gear, the game needs to undergo a good inner remake in regulate to maintain proper VR framerate .
Third, any VR developer worth their strategic arms limitation talks will tell you that making a VR version is not arsenic elementary as clicking “ enable VR ” release. even when a game technically runs flawlessly, with no ocular bugs and with satiny polish framerate, VR is besides about proper control systems and avoiding non-VR friendly solutions that all “ normal ” games feature without a second remember .
To give you an exemplar from Ethan, when you enter a car, a first-person animation takes over for a few seconds. This is not an issue in the 2D or evening 3D adaptation, but is a nightmare for some people in the VR version. It ’ mho jumble at best, and sickness-inducing at worst .
This is precisely one of many such issues, some of them much bigger than this. As I said, the game requires some good redesign in a couple of areas .
There will be a separate game or a DLC ( have no decide yet but we will make sure the current owners are glad ) called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR, but the reason to disable VR now was not because we want you to pay up first. It was because the current execution is buggy and we already see people complaining about it in Reddit and Steam forums. “ Buggy ” is not even a proper word for something that is not a spill. But the distributor point is : we do not want anyone to get an impression we have done something crazy and not up to our standards .
More importantly, the stream version of the bet on is not designed for VR .
Some people say The Vanishing of Ethan Carter does look and feel already like a game designed for VR, and that is reasonably dependable. The photogrammetry technical school, the purpose focused on submergence and sense of presence, the 3D in-world UI – all these elements have the potential to make the VR interpretation of the bet on something particular .
We just need more clock time. A batch of work is ahead of us, both from the technical school and design points of view .
We just released the first bigger spot for the Redux version, but right after that is done, we will start the shape on Ethan VR. so much exercise is planned that it feels like this game will be our moment remake of the original ( Redux being the first ).
Read more: The Great EarlyGame URF Tier List Guide
Redux took us a year, but VR will not take as long. Our ETA is the first quarter of 2016. We believe the final result will be worth the wait. It will go beyond just “ enabling VR ”. This will be Ethan you have not seen ahead. Our finish is the draw Ethan the ultimate VR experience, one that proves that VR is no long just something with a electric potential, but, well, a world .