|This page or parts of this page were previously transcluded from lore pages per this discussion.
This page should be checked for potential unrelated lore and other information. Please remove this banner when the page has been cleaned up.
This article is about the Companions cabal. For companions for the player, see Followers .
The Companions are a group of warriors who take on private and public contracts for the people of Skyrim, and who purportedly carry on the custom of the Five Hundred Companions of Ysgramor. Although the two groups offer a similar service, the Fighters Guild historically had a impregnable presence in Skyrim until the Companions apparently replaced it entirely in the Fourth Era. They are based in the city of Whiterun, within the mead hall Jorrvaskr. The most elect members are included in the Circle of Jorrvaskr, and the headman councilor and arbiter is known as the Harbinger, after Ysgramor, the “ announce of us all ” and the only real recognized drawing card of the Companions. Each fresh Harbinger is chosen by the last .
To learn more of the Companions and their history, see the lore article.
The Companions ‘ chancel is the Nordic longhouse precisely below Dragonsreach, in the Winds District of Whiterun. This is an ancient and honored mead hall where generations of the Companions have met. According to local caption, Jorrvaskr is actually the oldest build in Whiterun. It existed entirely on the batch while the city was built up around it over the centuries. It features a main dining area, below which are the life quarters for the whelp and for the Circle and Harbinger .
outside, there is a train area, and close by is the Skyforge, where the Companions ‘ weapons are formed. The fashion itself is large, ancient, and built outside on a batch, close to the flip. Below the Skyforge is a ceremonial sphere known as The Underforge, which is out of bounds except on rare occasions.
membership [edit ]
Members of The Circle at the initiation ceremony
Joining [edit ]
- You may apply at their guild hall Jorrvaskr in Whiterun by speaking with Kodlak Whitemane.
Benefits [edit ]
leadership [edit ]
once the Companions quest credit line has been finished, you are named Harbinger. The advantages are that now you can command most of the Companions to aid you in battle, and you can now forge Ancient Nord Armor and Nord Hero weaponry at the Skyforge .
Quests [edit ]
primary Quests [edit ]
The primary Companions quest line consists of six quests ; multiple beaming quests must besides be completed over the naturally of the quest trace. Three achievements ( 50 points ; 2 Bronze and 1 Silver ) are unlocked by the Companions quests.
beaming Quests [edit ]
These quests are available after completing Take Up Arms and are repeatable:
- Animal Extermination: Fulfill a contract given to the Companions to kill an invading beast.
- Animal Extermination: Fulfill a contract given to the Companions to clear out a beast den.
- Hired Muscle: Fulfill a contract for the Companions to bring a citizen back in line.
- Trouble in Skyrim: Fulfill a contract for the Companions to clear out a troublesome area.
- Family Heirloom: Fulfill a contract for the Companions to retrieve a stolen family heirloom.
- Escaped Criminal: Fulfill a contract given to the Companions to hunt down an escaped criminal.
- Rescue Mission: Fulfill a contract given to the Companions to rescue a kidnapped citizen.
These quests are available after completing The Silver Hand and are repeatable:
- Striking the Heart: Assassinate a leader of the Silver Hand.
- Stealing Plans: Search a Silver Hand hideout for information on the location of their headquarters.
- Retrieval: Journey to a random location to retrieve a fragment of Wuuthrad. (This quest is unavailable after Wuuthrad is reforged during the Quest Glory of the Dead.)
These quests are available after completing Glory of the Dead and are repeatable:
- Purity: Help a member of the Circle give up their beasthood. (Only Vilkas and Farkas wish to be cleansed, so you can only do the quest twice.)
- Totems of Hircine: Journey to the given location to find a Totem of Hircine. (This quest is only available while you are a werewolf, and can only be done three times, after which all Totems will have been found.)
- Dragon Seekers: Go to a dragon lair with Farkas or Vilkas and kill the dragon. (This quest also requires you to have completed Dragon Rising.)
People [edit ]
Notes [edit ]
- Within the Companions exists The Circle, an inner sub-faction of the highest and most prominent members, all of whom are Werewolves.
- When the game tells you to “Talk to the Companions leaders for work”, this generally means Farkas, Vilkas, Aela and Skjor. However, not all of them will necessarily have jobs for you at this time, but at least two of them will.
- Arnbjorn and Hestla are all former members of the Companions.
Bugs [edit ]
- The reward amounts for radiant Companions quests do not progress as intended. Instead of progressing evenly from 100 gold for levels 1-9 up to 300 gold for levels 40 and above, the reward given is 100 for levels 1-9, 150 for levels 10-19, then 300 for levels 20 and above. The level is also based on when the player completed the previous quest (or level one for the first quest), not the player’s level when receiving the quest or its reward.
- This bug is fixed by version 3.0.3 of the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch. (details)
- The Silver Hand radiant quests are available even after annihilating the Silver Hand.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.3.3 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; the quests are no longer available once Purity of Revenge begins. (Note that this can make 100% quest completion for the Companions more difficult.) (details)